Text Conversion (For Students)
Text Conversion Procedures
Request accessible books from DSS by completing an Alternate Format Request
- Request accessible textbooks as soon as possible.
- Requests will be processed in the order in which they were received.
- Students must provide proof of purchase to receive the accessible copy.
DSS will acquire an alternative format, such as electronic text (e-text), MP3, or Braille, by one of the following methods:
- Order the alternate format from the publisher or other accessible book repository.
- Scan and convert books with the use of Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software. Books which are converted by DSS will have the binding cut and replaced with a plastic comb binding once the conversion process is complete. ONLY RENTAL TEXTBOOKS FROM THE SIUCAMPUS BOOKSTORE MAY BE DISASSEMBLED. OTHER RENTAL TEXTBOOK VENDORS MAY CHARGE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO THE BOOK.
Electronic texts are available from free online libraries such as Bookshare, directly from publishers, or other electronic book vendors. Choose carefully and understand the format when purchasing. Some electronic book formats may not be compatible with all software or technology.
Additional reading material, such as course packets and articles, can also be converted. Students should check with the instructor early in the semester to discuss their need for accessible formats. Ask instructors to submit requests for accessible reading materials by e-mail to email@example.com.