Speech to Text and Interpreting
Interpreting and Speech to Text Services
In order to ensure that the needs of our students are met, SIU has a staff person qualified to assist students who are deaf or hard of hearing. It is important that you follow the procedures described here when you request services.
If you intend to request sign language interpreters or Speech to Text services for classes, activities, appointments, or any SIU sponsored events, please follow these procedures:
- As soon as you know you are coming to SIU, make an appointment to open a case.
- Bring information about your hearing loss and your needs to the appointment. Generally, we would like to see reasonably current audiological assessments. We will consider other documentation on a case specific basis.
- Complete an Accommodations Agreement with a DSS Staff Member.
- A one-time request for interpreters or other accommodations should be made for your academic classes for each semester. Any changes to your schedule should be reported as soon as possible, to ensure appropriate coverage.
- The University will provide interpreters for study groups, appointments, library visits, or other university-related needs. Students should fill out and return to DSS the Interpreter Request Form as soon as possible prior to the event. E-mail requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DSS will determine which interpreters to assign to classes and events. Our primary consideration is the communication preference stated by students.
Please help us serve you well by making timely requests for Interpreters and Speech to Text Services.