COVID-19 Student FAQs

Main Content

Student FAQs 

Q: Is Disability Support Services still open?   

Yes, DSS is still open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. All business, such as student appointments, will be conducted via phone or virtually until further notice. DSS will not be proctoring exams while online instruction is in place.

If you have a question or concern, please either call the office (Phone: 618-453-5738, VP: 618-453-4492) or email your DSS Coordinator.

Q: How do I get my exam accommodations, such as extended time?  

  • DSS will not proctor exams while the University’s instruction remains online only. Please communicate with your instructors to discuss your exam accommodations in their courses.  
  • Some instructors may opt for alternative assessments (e.g. essays, untimed exams) which would not require exam accommodations.  
  • If your instructor is creating online timed exams in D2L (MyCourses), please remind your instructor that you need extended time. You can download a copy of your Faculty Notification letter in the DSS Student Portal
  • DSS is available to instructors and students to consult about unique circumstances.  

Q: What if I don’t have a computer to use for online instruction?

Computer labs and Morris Library remain open as of 3/16/20, students in the area can use these facilities which have designated accessible workstations. If you are not in the immediate area, please contact SalukiCares to discuss solutions.

Q: I currently have a volunteer note-taker assigned in my class. Now that class is online, will I still receive a copy of the notes?  

Once you have learned from your instructor on how they will adapt the course for online instruction, please let DSS or your note-taker know if you would like to continue receiving notes. 

You may find that you no longer need a note-taker due to the course design changes. For example, lectures that are prerecorded videos can be watched at your own pace, or when the instructor has provided notes.

Regardless of your decision to continue receiving notes, all established note-takers will receive compensation for their notes thus far. DSS will follow up with individual students and note takers with instructions for submission of paperwork.

Q: Does this affect Attendance and Assignment Extension Modification Agreements?  

Completed agreements will be honored, though reasonable modifications to the structure of the agreements may be needed with the shift to online instruction. Please contact your instructors to discuss any additional barriers presented by changes to the course format. Let your DSS Coordinator know if you need any assistance right away. Do not wait until after you are absent or late with an assignment. Plan ahead and proactively reach out to your faculty as soon as possible.

Q: With the switch to all online instruction, I anticipate barriers. How do I request new accommodations?

If you are not currently registered with DSS, please follow the steps outlined on the Student Services page under Apply for Services.

If you are a DSS registered student, please contact your DSS Coordinator.

Q: Will Paratransit Services through RIDES Mass Transit still be available?

Yes, paratransit is still available. If you have already been approved for Paratransit, please contact RIDES to inform them of new scheduled times when you will need transportation.  If you have not previously used paratransit services, you must apply for this service by contacting DSS.

Q: I have an emotional support animal. When I return to the residence halls, do I need to make a new request?

For the remainder of the spring 2020 term, you will not need to make a new request. If you have a Fall 2020 contract or plan to renew your contract to live in University for the fall term, you will still be approved to have you ESA live in the residence halls and do not have to submit a new request.

If at any time, you are no longer living in University Housing because you terminated your contract and have moved elsewhere, your ESA is no longer approved. If you decide to return to University Housing at a later time, you will have to submit a new request and documentation.