Requests for Housing Accommodations
Students with disabilities may request special housing accommodations by:
- Requesting the special accommodation through either the Coordinator of Residence Life (CRL) of their Housing area or the office of Disability Support Services (DSS). Any requests made through a CRL will be referred to DSS; or
- Providing documentation of disability to the DSS office; or
- Having housing needs assessed by DSS staff.
After reviewing the student's request and documentation of disability, DSS will make a recommendation regarding appropriate accommodations to University Housing. If Housing believes a suggested accommodation will cause an undue hardship, a meeting with housing, DSS, and Legal Counsel shall be held to resolve all concerns. University Housing will then provide the appropriate environment keeping DSS informed of all steps taken.
In order to receive a single room at a double rate the following criteria must be met:
- Students with disabilities must have extensive equipment needs (i.e. manual and electric chairs, bath chairs, adapted computer work stations, lifts, etc.); or
- Students with disabilities must have substantial PCA needs; and
- DSS and University Housing must determine that it would not be reasonable (because of space or privacy issues) for a non-disabled student to share the space with a student with a disability.
*These policies generally apply, however, all decisions regarding students with disabilities are based on an individualized assessment and exceptions can be made.